An in-depth immersion into the cuisine of Japan that offers serious foodies a unique opportunity to:
- Experience Japan's authentic flavors and understand what makes Japanese cuisine so unique.
- Learn about Japan's culinary history and the history behind the most frequently used ingredients.
- Expand culinary horizons and taste little-known regional specialities that offer exceptional flavor experiences.
- Understand how to select the perfect bottle of sake.
Seated around a large table in a beautifully renovated old Kyoto house, you will immerse yourself in a selection of seasonal dishes. Each will showcase one or more traditional ingredients used in Japanese cooking, allowing you to:
- Enjoy comparing different types of miso, learn about its history and how to use miso to easily create Japanese flavors at home.
- Taste dishes made with traditional techniques unique to Japan such as pickling and fermentation, and learn how they generate outstanding flavors and health benefits.
- Sample rare local specialities that offer exceptional taste and textures.
- Savor freshly-made dashi (Japanese stock), learn about its ingredients and a simple but authentic way to prepare dashi at home.
- Explore pairings with three unusual varieties of traditionally produced sake (or organic teas if you do not drink alcohol).
After a total of 5-6 dishes, our course will conclude with freshly boiled rice and locally produced pickled vegetables.