The Joy of Lasagna, but vegan and gluten-free!
You can never go wrong with lasagna, a scrumptious dish enjoyed by just about everyone. Typically, the pasta, meat, and cream just blend together so well. Now, however, the dish has just been upgraded. The new lasagna is vegan, and gluten-free too! Host Dina just loves how she can enjoy her healthy lasagna anywhere, anytime.
“Lasagna is definitely my comfort food. I distinctly remember the smell emanating from the oven, the gooey goodness biting into it, and the warm feelings I would get whenever my mom made lasagna. She taught me how to remake her classic, and now, I upgraded it to a vegan one! Healthy eating doesn’t stop me from enjoying my favorite food, and the recipe is simple too!” – Host Dina in LA
Yes, for you healthy eaters, lasagna is still very much an option. This is how.
- 2 medium eggplants
- Cup of any desired grains, suggestions: mix of farro barley and rice
- Fresh tomatoes or canned tomatoes
- Vegan cheese – mozzarella style
- Gluten-free breadcrumbs, if not gluten insensitive then regular ones are good.
- Some flour
- Vegan milk -oat or soy ( not sweetened)
- Spices as you wish and like, suggestion: Oregano
- White pepper
- Fresh basil
- Sweet paprika
- Cut eggplants lengthwise to get about 12 pieces.
- Mix the flour and water with a pinch of salt until the texture resembles a pancake batter.
- Preheat the pan and cover the bottom in vegetable oil. Canola works well.
- Soak eggplant slices in the batter and place on the pan until crispy on both sides.
- Mix spices into the cooked grains with salt and pepper.
- Prepare a casserole and brush with olive oil.
- Layer breaded eggplants until the bottom of the casserole is covered.
- Layer grain mix on eggplants and top with tomato sauce.
- Repeat with remaining eggplants and grain mix.
- Cook a simple béchamel using vegan milk, salt, and breadcrumbs.
- Drizzle béchamel on top of the dish.
- Bake on 380 for 25 minutes. Cover with foil for the first 15 minutes only.
- Sprinkle with shredded vegan mozzarella